Unless, the chip in the tooth is very small, DIY repair for a chipped tooth is only recommended as a quick fix until you can get to the dentist.  That being said, there are some things you can do at home to take care of your damaged tooth until you can get to the dentist.

The first thing you will probably want to find is some acetaminophen, or another pain reliever of your choice.  Take the medicine to dull any pain you are having as a result of the chipped tooth.

If the chip is large enough, rinse it under warm water and put it in a safe place until you go to the dentist.  Take it with you to the dentist.  There is a possibility the dentist will be able to re-adhere the chip to temporarily fix your tooth.  No matter the size of the chip, you should rinse your mouth out with warm water to cleanse your mouth.

If the chip is small, you may be able to file the tooth down at home.  If you choose to do this, you will need to file the tooth in front of a mirror so that you can make sure you are not filing the tooth down too much.  You can use an emery board to file your chipped tooth.  Filing the sharp edge off the tooth will keep it from cutting the inside of your mouth.

Covering the tooth with wax is another alternative.  You can cover the bottom edge of the tooth with wax to prevent the chipped tooth from cutting your tongue or the inside of your cheek.

Dentemp can also be used as a temporary fix for a chipped tooth.  Dentemp is a product that is made for temporary care of a chipped tooth, and it can be purchased at most drugstores and pharmacies.  Dentemp is used to smooth the surface of the tooth and prevent further injuries to the tooth or mouth.

Even if you feel the chip is very small, a trip to the dentist is still recommended.  Chipped teeth can cause small cracks in the teeth, which can lead to infection in the root of the tooth.  The fall that caused your tooth to chip in the first place may also have caused damage to your gums or your jaw.  It is best to have a dentist check your mouth to rule out damage, or to recognize damage and recommend treatment.  If the damage goes to the root of the tooth, your dentist may send you to an endodontist for treatment.  The endodontist is a dentist that specializes in treating nerve damage and dental pulp that is diseased.

No matter how small the chip in your tooth, a trip to the dentist is a good idea for long-term dental health.  It is better to catch damage early while the  problem is small than to have damage go untreated and turn into a larger problem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>